Admission: I am a fruitcake fan. Not all fruitcake. But if it's a good, light, UN-drunken fruitcake, I am a fan. Same goes for stollen and hot cross buns.
This recipe is fantastic.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pound mixed candied fruit and peel
- 4 cups chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until blended. Stir in candied fruit and peel, pecans, raisins, and cherries. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 1 inch apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks (about 20 minutes).