One of my favorite & most frequently made sweets. I've tweaked a few things when I make it (highlighted in red)...
about 2-1/4 pounds
Prep: 10 minutes Chill: 1 hour Cook: 12 minutes
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut up
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 cup chopped almonds plus 1/4 finely chopped almonds
12 ounces milk chocolate bars, chopped, or milk chocolate chips
[I add 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract.]
1. Line a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick foil or regular foil coated with nonstick spray. In a medium-size saucepan, heat butter, sugar, corn syrup and 2 tablespoons water. [I add 2 tbsp cold coffee vs. water.] Heat over medium heat to melt butter. Increase heat to medium-high and insert candy thermometer (see Note).
2. Cook mixture about 12 minutes until golden brown and temperature reaches 300°F. Do not stir. Remove from heat and remove thermometer. Carefully stir in 1 cup chopped almonds.
3. Quickly pour toffee onto prepared pan and spread to edges. Let stand in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
4. Melt half of the chocolate in microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds; stir to smooth. Spread over top of cooled toffee; refrigerate 20 minutes until firm.
5. Once firm, flip entire bar over onto a sheet of waxed paper; remove foil. Microwave remaining chocolate on HIGH for 45 seconds. Stir until smooth. Spread over toffee bar; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup almonds. Use waxed paper to slide toffee bar back onto baking pan. Refrigerate 20 minutes more.
6. Once chocolate is firm, break bar into 2-1/2-inch pieces. Store airtight at room temperature, up to 1 month.